Business is Business

I learned a very valuable lesson last week—something I have always been aware of, but I needed a swift kick in the butt to REALLY understand. Business is Business. Business transcends friendships, relationships, family, etc. (insert your own applicable connection).

I got burned a little bit this week. A business associate that I was particularly close to and had subsequently formed a friendship with, showed his true colors. I woke up and realized that this individual has always had ulterior motives and has never worked for or in the best interests of my companies.

Also, one of my clients decided not to renew their agreement with me, which is fine…but they way in which this went down was not done in a respectable or professional manner—unacceptable and I expected more from this individual after all that has transpired over the last year (and beyond). It’s just kinda sad that it has come down to not even respecting someone who has HELPED, not hindered the development of this individual’s career. A simple thanks would have been nice….but, as my mother pointed out to me on our way to church yesterday, that’s not the business that I am in…this industry is cutthroat, shrewd and downright evil at times. Do I plan on getting down and dirty like the rest of the industry? Not at all. What sets me apart is my integrity and morals. I refuse to trade that in for anything. Who I am is too important to sell my soul to fit in and keep up with the Joneses…Not in this lifetime. However, what I have decided to do is to keep everything business…Family, Friends, whatever, it doesn’t matter. No more favors. This is not a community service project; I am in business for a reason.

They say you have to earn respect to get respect…well ladies and gents, it is a new day, consider me Ms. All About My Business from now on. This is not a game, and I ain’t playing…for real. Major shout to my Digital First/URM family…I’m ready to make some moves this year, let’s do it…

Business is Business: the new motto that I will wholeheartedly live by.

Peace & Blessings…

2 comments:

  1. it hurts and burns. I understand. I'm not in the business but have experienced the burn. Hardly a client but very much a family member that I went out of the way for (three times) to help get their feet off the ground. What do I get for it? I'll tell you when her and I speak again. I agree with your motto on keeping it strictly business. Seems like this disease is going around..."the jippers"

    keep your head up Meka...you'll get blessings three-fold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:38 AM

    You know that's just how some people are!! Sometimes in life it does take a situation to realize someone's true colors. All you can do is just be true to yourself and you can't go wrong. But like you said, business is business!!

    Eva

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...