Time to Clean House



Friend-
1. A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
"Friends." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. 31 Oct. 2007. .

I had an awesome time in Chicago this past weekend. I was a bridesmaid in my friend Neera’s wedding, and all I have to say is that her family truly knows how to through a shindig. The trip was good for me, it let me know that some of those that I have been quick to call friend, really aren’t. Being around those who are unequivocally my friends (and who have been my friends for years, through all the angst and changes in my life), reminded me what friends do and are for each other.





Friends may not call you every day, but they don’t have to because they already know what’s going on in your life. You email them when you have a new job, when you are getting married, when the baby is due, when someone dies, when you break up with your significant other…when you are sad or depressed…when you are happy.



One great thing I can say about my friends is that they always let me know that they care. I have been sick with the flu for almost three weeks…literally down in bed without accessing my computer and barely going to the official 9-5, much less getting all of my entrepreneurial projects completed. What absolutely made my day(s), was the fact that the people I love (and who love me) relentlessly called and texted to check up on me. They offered to help me with things. Those who were out of town did their best to keep me entertained. I am so blessed to have people in my life who are not selfish. Don’t get me wrong, they are all extremely successful and very BUSY individuals…all of them. We are taking about doctors, lawyers, members of the media, business school students (yeah, getting their MBA and working full time), etc. etc. Yet they still took the time to be considerate enough to check up on me…even with all that they have going on. They thought enough of me to go out of there way to let me know that I was important…and that’s what it all boils down to…feeling important. I at least try to make all of my friends feel important…because they are so important to me. And I’m not ashamed to say, I want to feel like I’m special to my friends as well. That’s why it is time to clean house. I usually do my personal purging in January; however, tomorrow is not promised, therefore, I better make each day count.



Life is too short to hold grudges. So I will do my best not to be bitter or angry. But from this day forward if you have claimed to be my friend or have claimed to want to be my friend, you have to show me that you care. Actions speak louder than words, and I take nothing at face value anymore. Don’t get me wrong, there is a difference between being friends and being friendly. I’m friendly with quite a few people, but I refuse to call you my friend unless I can trust that you really are.

To all the gentlemen who have expressed interest in getting to know me on a romantic, personal level. That stops today. If I can’t consider you a friend, then how can I consider you for anything else? As I said before, actions speak louder than words. Show me, rather than tell me.

1 comment:

  1. Fall is a good season to clean house and make changes. I'm with you on this.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...